...other than the kids, is a pretty significant project that affects one of my kids.
I just learned this week that the WV Birth To Three program, which provides therapy services for Abbie (occupational, developmental, speech & physical) is facing a $3 Million shortfall for FY '08-'09. That's not chump change. It's a big deal, especially for families whose services could be affected; however, so far, one of the TV stations covering this story says "services may be cut, families may be wait-listed" and other such explanations with no more feeling in their voice or care on their face than a dead lizard.
The NICU's in Charleston, Huntington and Morgantown are always at capacity. There is even a waiting list for the NICU's. Can you believe that?!?? A waiting list for the NICU's. Good grief!
Where do people think kids who go home after being in the NICU go? I mean, the majority of these kids need follow-up care because being either a premie or sick enough to warrant being in the NICU usually means there's a big enough problem that requires intense follow-up care. For some kids, it's a few months or a few years; for others, that kind of care is a life-long process.
Please go to the link below and watch the video. Please leave comments on the news channel's web page. If you're really feeling like crusading, I encourage you to contact our state Senators and House of Delegates members, as well as the Governor's office.
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/17457074.html#
The Weekly Ramble – July 31, 2026
5 hours ago


3 comments:
Do you know what the bill number is for this funding? I'll try to look it up today on the Thomas library. It tells you everything that is happening to a bill and what stage it is in. Here is the website to it and maybe between the two of us we can find it. It will tell you who is the sponsor of the bill and what committee it may have been sent to for review. This is the best place to start.
http://thomas.loc.gov/
Aimee,
As you may know, your senator (Sprouse) is actually the biological father of my son, Maxwell. Max has benefited tremendously from his early intervention services...and as far as the NICU, he would not be here today without those six months in the hospital. I cannot fathom having a "wait list" for the NICU. That simply isn't possible.
As far as advocating on these issues, I don't know if Sprouse will be much help. Despite his own son having such intense challenges, I bet he really hasn't done anything on this very important issue. What a shame. He could have used his personal experience (well he doesn't actually personally know Max, but you know what I mean) to get more attention to EI.
It wouldn't be a bad idea though to talk with him and relate Max's story. However, the other senators might be more helpful.
I am terribly sorry for the situation with EI in WV...how frustrating. Unfortunately some people just don't get the importance of EI until their family is directly impacted.
Make your voice heard...that is what is most important!
Amy
http://www.wvdhhr.org/birth23/idea/WVSPP1205rev0208.pdf
I just read the latest update on this program and it seems to me that the funding is being threatened to be withheld because the results are not being reported properly. This was an update as of Fb 2008. Tell me what you think about it. I couldn't find any bill number or anything, just that they were trying to get the program changed from a pilot program until 2010 but they are having a hard time gathering the feedback that they need to get that change. After you read it, let's discuss it and I'll help in anyway I can. Or maybe you can direct me to the site that says that they are lacking in funds to keep the program going. And i can research it more from there.
Post a Comment