Something occurred to me this week: I have a hard time in January. When I thought about it, I have really struggled in January for the past 5 years. Some of it was in relation to a particular event, such as preparing for Abbie's tongue surgery, a lawsuit or dealing with serious issues.
But I also thought that nearly every January, I start experiencing insomnia. Or at the very least, not being able to sleep until 1, 2 or 3 a.m. That causes a domino effect. I'm overly tired during the days and then eventually, I'll start napping in the evenings, which perpetuates the entire cycle. No kidding, I have pretty much passed out from exhaustion 2 evenings this week.
I'm starting to wonder if I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. It seems that my boughts of insomnia occur most often in the fall, peaking in January. I don't feel this way in the spring or summer.
Maybe I should get a light, but the products I've found are too expensive to go out and get on a whim without a professional telling me that I do, indeed, experience SAD and that I should get one.
All I know is that right now, I feel awful and that I couldn't function without coffee. And unfortunately, it's turning out to be a very grey and bitterly cold winter.
The Weekly Ramble – July 31, 2026
5 hours ago


2 comments:
When we lived in Rochester, NY, my husband had SAD in a big way. By the end of January he would lay in bed sighing for 45 minutes before he could wake up. We never bought a light, but if we move somewhere gray, that will be the first purchase!
I'm sorry you're going through that. Another thing is to make sure you're taking Vitamin D. It has been shown to help.
I had been taking Vitamin D, but have slacked off a bit this week. Hmm. I was taking it to help pep up my immune system. I'm wondering if I need to take 2 tablets instead of 1.
Post a Comment