Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Planning for a Garden

Mary, Mary
Quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?

I desperately want to grow a vegetable garden this year. I've wanted to do it for a few years and I think this might be the best chance because I'm not pregnant, I don't have an infant and I have the time.

Like any good geek, I googled "planning a vegetable garden" and yielded these results:

http://www.helpfulgardener.com/vegetable/2003/vegetable.html

http://www.humeseeds.com/vegplan.htm

Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd like to grow my favorite veggies: green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce, and carrots. I'd also like to grow fresh herbs.

I'd also like to better plan the flower beds and the area outside the fence. I have my ideas about outside the fence, it's just a matter of properly planning the soil, buying the plants and planting them. Those last two get me every time.

If anyone out there knows what you're doing, would you mind sharing your gardening know-how with me?

2 comments:

OTRgirl said...

Hmmm...I'm no help. I just hired the kid who used to live in the house to work with me and direct the process. I kept short-circuiting when I tried to figure out what to plant where.

I love your ambition though! Garden planning is such a great way to survive the last couple months of winter

Aimee said...

I think I'll have to heavily rely on reading about it (I prefer hands-on help, learning by doing).

I'm thinking of doing gardening updates. Our plan for February is to get raised beds built. I'm hoping we can find the proper soil and a good price!

Actually, I'm really enjoying the snow. I like that it's "really" winter, instead of just teasing us. I think it will help spur me on to be outside once the weather is warmer.

Lastly, I hope this ambition turns into action that brings lots of good things to eat. :-)