I am nursing the worst sunburn I've had in 7 years and one of the three worst in my lifetime.
It's all my fault, and that's the thing that makes me really angry with myself right now. When I got everything together for us to go to the pool the first time this season (I prefer going when it's crazy hot, otherwise, the kiddie pool at home works just fine), I made sure to pack sunscreen and even a white t-shirt for me to wear to prevent betting burned.
But it was crazy hot and my oldest daughter just could not wait to get into the water. I panicked and thought/said something along the lines of, "Good grief, ok, we'll all get in" without having first slathered sunscreen on myself. Yes, the kids were covered. How is it that moms always do that? Kids first. If I was ever in a plane with my kids and we were going down, I'd probably go ahead and put their masks on first, despite being told otherwise.
Anyway, suffice it to say that I got burned. Really bad. It hurts in the worst way. I've considered going to the doctor about a hundred times since Friday evening. I have blisters. It hurts to raise my arms higher than shoulder level (above my head).
All I keep thinking about is Heather over at Dooce.com and how she's had 2 skin cancer lesions. She's in her 30's and has dealt with it twice. So now I'm just praying that my stupidity doesn't come back to haunt me.
The Weekly Ramble – October 30, 2026
18 hours ago


7 comments:
hey girl, try "used" tea bags to take the sting out. Boil the bags in water, then lay them on your skin. I have heard they work great!
Also, I LOVE the aloe vera gel. It works so well to cut down on the peeling and blistering. If you have real aloe, just slice it open and lay it on the skin. You can also juice it and smear it.
Finally, make sure you take tylenol every 4 hours to keep fever and the temp down. It really helps. And NO hot or warm baths.
I went to my doctor with a bad blistered sunburn like that before and he told me to use Noxzema on it. It worked! Instantly. I looked really white, but i didn't care.It took away the pain. And helped cure the burn. I agree about taking the Tylonol every 4 hours too.
Oh but I wish that I could be there when you start to peel. I love to peel peoples skin off. Creepy aint I?
And if Mobea can't make it from Texas, I'm in NC and can make it faster to do the peeling. I, too, love to peel skin because I know it feels so good to rip that dead red skin off to stop the itching and reveal the lovely shade of pink new skin.
You poor thing. I feel for you. I used to do that every year and then be in so much pain. Then I turned 30 and realized, HEY, you dummy, don't do that anymore. IT HURTS! Plus, now I take med. that intensifies the rays from the sun so I try not to get burned. It doesn't look good on a 59 year old grandma.Aunt Kathy
Thanks for the advice! I've been taking Advil to help with inflammation and have been putting Ice (made my Ocean Potion) on it, which contains Aloe Vera, Lanocain and something else I can't remember right now.
I'm actually concerned... the skin that's underneath looks blistered, too. It's odd... and a little too gross to share with pictures. I called my family doctor and will follow up with him tomorrow.
The peeling has already started... and you guys are kinda weird. I could never understand wanting to peel off skin like that. If I remember correctly, my hubby likes to do that, so we have that covered. Thanks for the offer though.
Well, the offer still stands if hubby is too busy to peel your skin off. LOL Just think, Angie is related to us!
I'm sorry you're in such pain! It sounds horrible. (Thanks for not posting pictures...)
Most of the cancer-inducing damage is done before the age of 18, so this won't help, but probably won't cause more than you're already due to get. How's that for cold comfort?
I just went to the dermatologist today to have something biopsied. I've already had a basal cell and a benign tumor taken off my back, so I'm paranoid now. Yet I often can't be bothered to slather it on, either. Being fair-skinned in California is NOT fun.
Starting to feel a little better yet? And are you starting to peel yet? I'm sorry the first part really was to see how you were feeling. The second part is just cause I'm creepy.
Post a Comment